Sunday, February 12, 2006

MINE, ME, THAT GOLD!

Torino 2006 has gotten off to a resplendent start (sans one little element - the "one thing" that Nora wanted her husband, Torvald to do in "A Doll's House," so to speak - transposed to the circumstances of my life)

Aaahh. One thing, one day.

Oh, there are times when I wish that I could either be in Star Trek Generation's nexus, where a moment in time could be lived and relived forever, where time has no meaning, and in which it is like being "in joy," as if joy is something tangible, in which you could wrap yourself around."

And when I realize that the nexus will never come, how I realize that I were one of Alexander Pope's vestals:

"How blameless is the vestal's lot? By the world forgetting, the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Each prayer accepted, each wish resign'd."

I am neither in the nexus, nor am I a vestal. That is both a hideous bane, and a special blessing, I guess, but right now, when I feel I should feel at my happiest - for a period of 17 days - the bane engulfs the blessing. Such is the harrowing harmony of life

Today, Michelle Kwan, 5 time World Champion, umpteen-time US. Champion, Olympics silver and bronze medalist, decided to withdraw from the Olympic games after going through a disappointing practice session yesterday. Many athletes who compete in the Olympics never get to the podium. Many athletes who deserve to get to the podium never do. Many athletes never get to the games.

I know what it's like to chase a dream, to chase a goal, against the odds, or to want something that is seemingly beyond my grasp (see above). Life punishes us for both pursuing this dream and for abandoning it. So, while part of me thinks that Michelle's insistence upon grabbing Olympic gold is selfish, who isn't selfish, for reasons both "proper" and not? It is the hardest thing in the world for us to determine when what we genuinely want inspires such strong feelings that those feelings prevent us with moving forward, and, ironically, prevent us with obtaining with that which we want, in some instances. Some always seem to know when it is time for others to give up a dream, a want, or a wish - to know when it is time for "reality."

Then there are others who disagree. The Emma Thompson character, in Sense and Sensibility, speaking of her sister to the Alan Rickman character, says, "My sister is young and impetuous. I wish that she were less impulsive, more mature, more attuned to the ways of the word." The Rickman character, as if trying to swallow an almost unbearable memory, sorrowfully replies, "I once knew a woman who was forced to become, as you put it, acquainted with "the ways of the world." The results brought only ruination and despair. You should not wish it."

Which point of view - either, both, or neither - to embrace? A golden dilemma, to be sure.




Notice how the title of my posts are plays on words?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home