Thursday, June 22, 2006

BATTLESTAR UPDATE

I promised myself - er, you - that I'd eventually post some more about Battlestar Galactica. The first season consists of 11 episodes (the miniseries itself, not officially part of the first season, was the equivalent of four episodes; the second season, which ended in March, contained 20 episodes. The third season begins in October. I just finished viewing episode #11 of season #1 proper).

Many times, we take things to our heart - and take for granted that they are great - simply because they have been AROUND for so long - and have provided no small amount of pleasure to us - that we cannot imagine what things would be like without them. This phenomenon explains, for example, the popularity of Eva Peron, of Yellowstone National Park, and the blow job. On any given day, a person may not be perfectly fellated; a citizen may not have had a picture-perfect encounter with Evita; and a citizen may have been cripplied by a Ski-Doo while he was soaking in the once verdant beauty of El Capitan - BUT, all the same, even the people who have encountered the imperfect experiences have an affinity for the general article in question - the location, the person, or the act - an affinity based upon that article's having served as the equivalent of comfort food - that when a potential newcomer comfort food arrives on the scene, it will be viewed with hostility.

For me, Star Trek is the ultimate in comfort food. It has been a part of my life since I was eight. It's provided a tremendous amount of pleasure to me. To paraphrase Roger Ebert's famous remark about E.T., "Star Trek is the kind of TV Show/movie you can grow old with. It won't disappoint you, and it won't let you down." The "comfort" aspect of Star Trek is especially worth emphasizing to me: on some days, more than I can remember or can care to, Star Trek was the ONLY thing that brought me any happiness at all. Thus, my affinity for this show/phenomenon, which has consisted of some fine drama over the years (and some misfires) is so strong that I even put off watching Battlestar for a year.....

More later - on the substance of the new show, and how there's a new comfort food on the menu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home