Monday, February 27, 2006

TORINO-VER

Last night, the books were closed on the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino, Italy. I admit to not having watched the Closing Ceremonies. Watching this event has proven to be just too painful an experience for me, in past years, so why subject myself to the trauma again?

In Star Trek VI, Spock's otherwise Spartan quarters contained an elaborate painting depicting the Biblical expulsion of man from Paradise. "Why keep [this] in your quarters?" he was asked. "It is a reminder to me that all things end." Sometimes, one doesn't need the reminder when there is no chance one will ever forget the certitude. Of course, I taped the Closing, and will watch it one day - that way, I'll still have a piece of the games to watch, and will be able to watch it when my despondency about the games being over has subsided.

And, of course, there are still 18-odd tapes of material that I taped, the contents of which I have yet to view, during the course of the Olympics, that represent Olympic programming, that must now be put onto DVD. (I need the VCR tapes to tape other things). So, there's always more to watch.

I don't like believing in absolutes (see the previous post about being forced to become acquainted with "the ways of the world"), and while technically, event X or experience Y may be "over," the memory that it represents often lives long beyond the milk carton expirtaion date, in a way that makes the amount of time our minds spend musing over how we REMEMBER the event never over. Life is grand in this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home